Castillo de Viñuelas
Castillo de Viñuelas, the venue for the GDMC gala dinner and closing ceremony on the evening of Thursday, September 21, is a fortified palace within the Parque Regional de la Cuenca Alta del Manzanares, a natural reserve on the northern outskirts of Madrid.
The outline of this three-story castle against the horizon is defined by its towers and incredible main façade. Four towers, built in 1697, rise from each corner. Facing north, the main façade is completely decorated in 17th-century style, and its elegant ornamentation includes the coats of arms of several prominent Spanish families, as well as a great stone cross. Inside, the Gothic-style Hall of Arms, constructed in the 19th century, is a magnificent sight. Large gardens and several greenhouses cover much of the grounds, and a spectacular terrace offers breathtaking views of the entire Soto de Viñuelas estate.
Though most of the architecture dates to the 17th century, the estate has been mentioned in historical records as far back as 1285. Ownership of the estate has passed through the families of several Spanish monarchs over the centuries. Dictator Francisco Franco even took up residence in the castle during the 1930s. In the present day, both the castle and the surrounding mountain are privately owned.
The castle and surrounding park are frequently used as event spaces. Get lost in the park and you will enter a different life!
Additional details about the castle are available at http://www.castillodevinuelas.es/.
Palacio de la Bolsa
The Palacio de la Bolsa features emblematic spaces such as the trading hall, the heart of the exchange building and the stock market; the Salón de los Pasos Perdidos (Hall of Silent Footsteps), and the Listing Hall.
From its creation in 1831 until the current Stock Exchange building was opened in 1893, the Spanish stock market had a number of different homes in the centre of Madrid. The very first Madrid Stock Exchange was located in Plazuela del Angel, on the corner of calle Carretas.
In 1832 it was moved to the Casa de Filipinas, also close to the calle Carretas. Foto Casa de Filipinas. In 1841 the Exchange moved again, this time to the cloister of the San Martín monastery, and then again in 1846, to the Monjas Bernardas convent on the calle Alcalá. Just a year later the Exchange moved yet again, this time to the Basilios monastery in calle Desengaño. In 1875 the Bolsa was installed in the Aduana Vieja building, the former Customs House, in what became known as the Plaza de la Bolsa.
The current Stock Exchange building was opened by Queen Maria Cristina on 7 May 1893 and has survived to the present day with the original design of architect Enrique Repullés intact.
The building's motif-laden halls and opulent ornamentation, which is rich in symbolry, ensure that generation after generation come to recognise, understand and appreciate the true essence of the very special business relationship underpinning the whole history of the stock market.
The Luis Taverner frescos remain in place, as on the day the building was opened, the Francisco Molinelli sculptures are intact, and furnishings and fittings have been changed for maintenance purposes only. The patron saint of the Stock Exchange, Mercury, has undoubtedly taken good care of the place, preserving it for us to the present day in all its splendour.